Legendary superbike of motorcycling's between-the-wars 'Golden Age', the Brough Superior was synonymous with high performance, engineering excellence and quality of finish. That such a formidable reputation was forged by a motorcycle constructed almost entirely from bought-in components says much for the publicity skills of George Brough. But if ever a machine was more than the sum of its parts, it was the Brough Superior. Always the perfectionist, Brough bought only the best available components for his motorcycles, reasoning that if the product was right, a lofty price tag would be no handicap. And in the 'Roaring Twenties' there were sufficient wealthy connoisseurs around to prove him right, T E Lawrence ('Lawrence of Arabia') being the most famous example.
The speed with which the name 'Brough Superior' established itself as synonymous with excellence may be gauged from the fact that the famous 'Rolls-Royce of Motorcycles' sobriquet was first coined in 1921 when the marque was barely two years old. The story goes that Rolls-Royce objected to their name being associated with a mere motorcycle - until they examined one of George's creations.
Launched in 1933, the 1,096cc 11-50 was the largest Brough Superior to enter series production. Powered by a sidevalve v-twin (of unusual 60-degree configuration) supplied exclusively to the Nottingham factory by J A Prestwich, the 11-50 fitted into the Brough price range between the SS80 touring and SS100 super-sports models. The 11-50 was conceived as a long-legged, effortless tourer and could exceed 90mph in solo form or pull a heavy sidecar at up to 75mph; indeed, in the latter role it was one of the finest sidecar mounts of its day. Production lasted until 1939, by which time the 11-50 was the only JAP-powered machine in the Brough Superior range.
This 11-50 has the rigid frame and Monarch front fork that characterised the 'standard' offering for sidecar use (Castle forks and rear suspension were options). The machine was first registered in Nottingham, presumably by the factory, a not uncommon occurrence. Acquired by the deceased owner in August 1969, it was last taxed for the road to the end of April 2007 and since then has been kept in dry storage. Recently exhibited at Belstaff's flagship store on London's Bond Street as part of their 90th Anniversary celebrations, the machine is in need of re-commissioning or possibly more extensive restoration, and is sold strictly as viewed. Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style continuation logbook (1969) and old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents. No reserve.