Among four new models introduced in 1938 was the one that represents BMW's overhead-valve sports roadster in its ultimate, pre-war form the R66. Intended as a sporting sidecar mount, the latter joined the existing ohv 500, now typed 'R51', but did not feature the smaller model's two chain-driven camshafts, using instead the single gear-driven camshaft of the sidevalve-engined twins. This new engine went into the updated cycle parts introduced at the same time, which featured a telescopic front fork and plunger rear suspension. Although the sprung frame resulted in the R66 weighing more than its un-sprung predecessors - 187kgs (412lbs) - the exemplary power output of 30bhp more than made up for the increase, endowing the bike with the top speed slightly in excess of 90mph (145km/h). The BMW R66 was one of the most expensive - and exclusive - motorcycles of its day and only 1,669 were manufactured between 1938 and 1941.
An exciting project for the dedicated BMW enthusiast, this dismantled R66 is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to this motorcycle's completeness, or otherwise, prior to bidding. There are no documents with this Lot.