- Interesting model
- Outstanding presentation
- Rare specifications
- No reserve
As early as 1937, the German army instructed BMW and Zündapp to develop a 750cc sidecar. These vehicles had to meet draconian specifications which required a 500 kg payload while maintaining a 150 mm ground clearance, 80km/h cruising speed with 3 people on board, 350 km distance range, etc… That gave birth to two of the most famous Second World War vehicles, including the Jeep Willys of course! Initial tests demonstrated the need to design an all-new 750cc engine, which became the engine base for post-war models such as the BMW R51, R67 and R68. The BMW R75 produced 26 hp at 4,000 rpm in its final version and on any fuel, it was fitted with a reverse gear and the sidecar driving wheel. Designed to work in both the desert sands and the Russian steppe, the BMW R75 shared many parts with the Zundapp KS 750, which facilitated the maintenance of these machines. Production of the R75 began in June 1941 and over 18,000 units in total were produced at the Eisenach plant until the end of the war.
This specific example is in good condition after an older quality restoration probably carried out in Germany. It has extremely rare components, such as the heating system surrounding the handlebars, reminiscent of vehicles equipped for the Russian campaign. It was entered in the Italian historic ASI register in 2006 and its registration document records it accurately as a harnessed motorcycle.
For more information and photos: https://www.artcurial.com/fr/lot-1943-bmw-r75-side-car-no-reserve-3980-5