By 1930 the engine of Ariel's Val Page-designed single-cylinder range had gained a rear-mounted magneto and its distinctive timing cover, and this basic design - frequently revised - would last well into the post-war era. For the 1936 season the Standard models were dropped and two new overhead-valve De Luxe models introduced: the 250cc LG and 350cc NG, complementing the sporting Red Hunters. When WW2 broke out, existing stocks of Ariel motorcycles (and those of other makes) were requisitioned for allocation to the British Armed Forces, pending the development of a military version of the 350cc single, designated 'W/NG', which first appeared in 1940. Roy Bacon's book 'Ariel: The Post-War Models' shows a group of W/NGs on active service with the RAF in France (page 23).
This particular W/NG comes with an old style continuation logbook (issued 1959) giving the date of first registration as 4th April 1950 and showing that it is 'ex-government' and was previously attached to a sidecar (removed 1971). Used sparingly since its acquisition by the vendor, the machine is offered with a V5C registration document.