1948 Ariel Model 4G

Summary

  • Baujahr 
    1948
  • Motorradtyp 
    Straßenmaschine
  • Motornummer 
    CJ675
  • Losnummer 
    230
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Farbe 
    Sonstige
  • Standort

Beschreibung

1948 Ariel 995cc Model 4G Square Four
Registration no. JOC 299
Frame no. XP2072
Engine no. CJ675

Designed by Edward Turner, the Square Four was first shown at Olympia in 1930. Originally an overhead-camshaft 500, the model grew to 601cc before a total redesign saw it emerge as the Model 4G, with 995cc overhead-valve engine, in 1937. Anstey link plunger rear suspension became an option in 1939 but would not be offered again until 1946 when a telescopic front fork replaced the previous girder type. With its limitless reserves of pulling power and innate smoothness, the model was a superb touring mount and a long-time favourite of the sidecar brigade. Previously attached to a sidecar, this particular 4G has been the subject of a total restoration undertaken over a five-year period and only completed in 2014. The engine has been rebuilt with new bearings, pistons/rings and valves/guides/springs, while the cylinder head has been converted to unleaded compatibility by SRM Engineering and a Morgo high-capacity oil pump and canister filter installed. The gearbox has been overhauled with all new bearings and bushes, and the wheels rebuilt using new rims. The brakes drums have been skimmed and new shoes fitted. All invoices relating to the restoration will be found in the history file, and the machine also comes with an old-style continuation logbook (1955), Ariel OC dating letter and old/current V5C registration documents.