Property of a deceased's estate 1927 AJS 2¾hp Project Registration no. SV 9293 Frame no. 75894 Engine no. H4 75894
Originally manufacturers of proprietary engines, A J Stevens Ltd, of Wolverhampton, introduced its first complete motorcycle in 1911. The first AJS was a single-cylinder sidevalve-engined lightweight displacing 292cc that came in two versions, one with direct belt drive (Model A), the other (Model B) having a two-speed countershaft gearbox, an advantage enjoyed by few contemporary rivals. The company first entered the Isle of Man TT in 1911, making an historic breakthrough in 1914 when it won the Junior event, the first such victory by a single-cylinder machine. From then onwards, the 2¾hp (350cc) sidevalve-engined model remained a fixture of the AJS range. Light in weight (around 200lbs) robust and adequately powerful, the model is widely regarded as one the finest of early Vintage sports machines.
Sold strictly as viewed, this Lot consists of a frame; engine; gearbox (number 'K4/125229'); forks; front wheel; rear wheel; rear mudguard; rear carrier; saddle; fuel/oil tank; exhaust pipe; chainguard; toolbox; and sundry other parts. The machine is offered with old-style V5/V5C documents, which omit the engine number prefix.