Classic Driver Marketplace
|Aston Martin DB5 |
Bonhams - 3 Dec 2012 Collectors' Motor cars and Automobilia Weybridge, Mercedes-Benz World Brooklands
Park and share on Facebook
|'Racing has played a major part in the development of all Aston Martin engines since Frank Halford designed the original 1.5-litre unit for Bamford & Martin. The 3,995cc 6-cylinder light alloy engine fitted to the DB5 is in all major respects the same as that which powered the 4-litre prototype which ran in the 1962 and 1963 Le Mans 24-Hour races.' – Autocar, 21st May 1965.|
Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Carrozzeria Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. Its 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later. Famously featured in the James Bond movie, 'Goldfinger', the DB5 was immensely popular, with demand swiftly outstripping the factory's ability to supply following the film's release in 1964. In total, 1,021 examples were built between 1963 and 1965.
A later model fitted with desirable ZF five-speed manual gearbox, '2234/R' was purchased new by Colonel Rupert Leaman Bellaney of Pulborough, West Sussex. Sold in 1966 to Maurice Lee in London, it next passed to Kenco Chemicals of Bolton and in April 1973 was sold by Westwood Garage of Lower Ince, Lancashire to William Cottier Haddock of Wigan.
The car was then laid up until purchased by Michael Hollingshead of Nantwich, Cheshire in 1991. Carefully stored during its time off the road, the Aston was re-commissioned by Village Industries of Audley and in December 2001 was purchased by the current vendor. Well cared for since acquisition, it was repainted six years ago in the correct original colour. The chassis has been treated with red oxide paint and the radiator, oil cooler and ignition distributor are new. The car now drives without fault, its engine running very well and registering healthy oil pressure. In May 2010 ''MPO 589C' won the 'Best car on display' award at the AMOC Area 5's 75th anniversary celebration. Finished in California Sage Green with original tan leather interior, this wonderfully original DB5 currently displays a believed-correct mileage of circa 85,000 from new. Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style logbook, sundry bills, expired MoT certificates, current road fund licence, MoT to 29th September 2012 and Swansea V5 registration document.
Sold on the 19.05.2012
|Simple search for cars|
|Recommended Aston Martin Specialists & Clubs|
|Aston Martin Owners Club Ltd
Drayton St Leonard
Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 7BG
|+ 44 (0) 1865 400400
+ 44 (0) 1865 400200
|Aston Martin Owners Club Germany
Wolfgang Bahlmann, Kurzer Gang 8
|Aston Martin Owners' Club CH
Juerg Furter, Eglistrasse 2
CH-8942 CH-8942 Oberrieden