Classic Driver Marketplace
|Lotus Europa Banks Type 47|
Park and share on Facebook
|The ultimate development of a road-going Europa. Not to be confused with a standard twin cam, this very rare 1971 Europa is a fully refurbished, mechanically sorted and very quick car. It comprises a Banks Europa powder coated space frame chassis, Vauxhall 2 litre twin cam engine producing aprox. 185bhp, Renault Fuego Turbo transaxle and Lotus type 47 body shell.
Acquired with only 1,820 miles since initial conversion, the car has since completed 7,000 trouble free miles since, but with some major refurbishing and development along the way to bring it to the exacting standards of the owner. The essential main work has been:
• Full engine rebuild with machining work carried out by Vauxhall expert John Wilcox. New Accralite forged pistons, cylinders bored to a total of 2.021 litres with a 10.44 : 1 compression ratio, lightened and balanced con rods with re-bushed little ends, cylinder head skim, lightened and balanced flywheel, GM camshafts re-profiled, new Isky valve springs and hydraulic buckets, new cam belts, all new seals and ARP bolts, new main bearings and new Weber 45 carburettors with 36mm chokes, and ITG air filter. Red line at 7,500 rpm. Tuned on rolling road.
• Gearbox opened and checked – minor servicing items required
• Tubular manifold headers by Tony Law and ceramic coated
• Competition engine mounts
• Alloy fuel tanks to Banks specification
• Re-built Avo shock absorbers
• New springs (c.163 lbs rear, 243 lbs front) to Banks specification
• New Compomotive alloy wheels
• New Hankook tyres (185 x 55 x 15 front, 205 x 50 x 15 rear) to Banks specification
• Re-bushed front and rear suspension
• New aircraft-spec stainless bolts, nuts and washers fitted throughout suspension for both safety and to avoid corrosion
• Stainless braded brake hoses throughout
• Cooling system removed, cleaned and replaced
• Pressure tested radiator and re-painted
• Up-rated master cylinder
• Air horns fitted
• High amp, Optima ‘red’ dry cell battery with secret immobiliser fitted
• New high wattage period correct lights
• Silver-top Facet competition fuel pump
• Re-bushed gear selection linkage
• Re-bushed pedal assembly
• Sliding Perspex side windows commissioned
• Discrete lighter socket installed – for sat-nav use
• Suspension set up by Banks Engineering
• Wax oil throughout as required
With the car weighing approximately 735kg it is not slow ! Not really concerned with 0 – 60 times but would expect it to be c. 5 seconds.
All work fully documented and all invoices kept.
A truly rare and very special Lotus. Perfect in every way, and ready for the summer driving.
Sold on the 05.03.2013 16:50:56
|Advanced search for cars|