Classic Driver Marktplatz
|Abarth 750 Record Monza|
Coys Auction - Legende et Passion Monaco 10th May 2008
Fahrzeug auf Facebook parken
|Coys Auction - Légende et Passion |
Espace Fontvielle Monaco
Friday 9th May 2008 12:00 - 19:00
Saturday 10th May 2008 from 10:00
Saturday 10th May 2008
Collectors' Items 14.30
Motor Cars at 15.00
Admission by catalogue only - admits two.
Carlo Abarth, formerly associated with Cisitalia, set up his own concern in 1950. At first he concentrated on tuning equipment for Fiat and other makes, before turning his hand in 1955 to manufacturing complete cars. 1956 saw the introduction of one of his most famous and successful models, the road/racing 750 coupe. Conceived primarily with the fiercely competitive 750cc class in mind, the car utilised mainly modified Fiat 600 components. Raising the capacity from 633cc to 747cc and changing various mechanical parts, Abarth was able to transform a relatively simple vehicle into a truly sturdy car capable of impressive speed and acceleration. Development continued at a prodigious rate, encompassing not only Abarth's greatest forte, increasing engine power, but also reliability, endurance and safety, all vital ingredients in sports car racing. It was logical that coachwork should also come into the equation and supplying suitable bodies were some of Italy's finest design studios. The 750's sporting debut came at Monza, but true glory was achieved when the new model won the 750cc class in the 1957 Mille Miglia at an average speed of 73.2mph/117.9kph with Alfonso Thiele driving, and every single Abarth 750 entered completed the gruelling race.
By the middle of the following year a new small lightweight and aerodynamic body had been designed by Zagato with which Abarth continued to contest 750cc class competition. Christened Record Monza in deference to the company's record-breaking successes at the famed Italian track, it was always intended to receive the new twin overhead camshaft engine which Abarth had designed. Demand for the new car was strong, however, and Abarth could not produce the new cylinder head in sufficient numbers, with the result that some 60 per cent of cars were fitted with the modified pushrod engine. As soon as the car came close to the race tracks it cleaned up, sweeping all before it and fuelling Abarth's giant killer reputation. Indeed, American importer Franklyn D Roosevelt Jr entered a team of four in the Sebring 12 Hours where the cars came home 1-2-3-4 in class, humbling many larger engined machines in the process. This result was typical wherever the Abarths raced.
Manufactured in 1960 and fresh from a complete restoration by Galbiatti of Milan, this example is in very good condition throughout. Chassis 860 214 was sold new to Mexico (the original invoice is supplied) and was raced in there in the 1962 Grand Prix Di Indipendecia, Citta del Messico; with a 3rd place in the grand tourismo category with Umberto Maglioli driving. Further entries include the 1962 -1963 Carerra Panamericana with Pedro Rodriguez at the wheel and the 1964 Carrera Panamericana with Guillermo Rojas as pilot.
Later the car was purchased from Mexico and imported to Italy where the body work was entrusted to Galbiatti of Milano, an ex Zagato man. Photos of the work appeared in Ruote Classiche in 2004.
The mechanical work was done in Torino by ex Abarth employees. The engine in the car now is a highly developed 750 push rod engine. The car comes with customs document showing EU taxes paid.
Sold on the 14.05.2008